Sunday, February 7, 2010

Four Footed Soldiers

Whenever I go on the road I always miss my little furry guy, Rolie. I felt that very keenly when I met Dax, a pure breed German Shepard that patrols with the Troops at Camp Tarmiya in Iraq. They are an amazing group of young men who we had the honor of performing for and chatting with just before they went out on patrol.


Although Dax was on duty, he didn’t seem too put out by posing for photos. He graciously allowed us to scratch behind his ears and pet his tremendous muzzle that I would not want to be on the business end of.


While the military seems to have a preference for Shepherds, I extolled the virtues of Cocker Spaniels: small, stealthy and always up for nap. Although not inherently vicious, the enemy would be done for they ever dressed up like the UPS man.


Rolie himself is a b
it too old for military service. He's too busy enjoying retirement, patrolling my kitchen, tracking freshly purchased luncheon meat. The military will have to make do with Dax.






Leighann Lord is a standup comedian. January 31 - February 9 she'll be performing for the troops in the Middle East through Armed Forces Entertainment. Check out her other upcoming shows @ www.VeryFunnyLady.com. Join her on FaceBook. Follow her on Twitter.

No comments: