Sunday, January 31, 2010

Preparing for The Middle East: A Shopping Opportunity?

The outpouring of love, concern and kudos about my trip to the Middle East has been amazing. Here are the answers to the top two questions you've been asking:

Are you nervous?
Not really. I went to Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan back in 2002. Marriage and growing up in a dicey neighborhood has really prepared me.

Are you excited?

Honestly, I didn't get excited until I got the list of things I needed to have for my trip and realized this was a shopping opportunity. My favorite purchases so far have been a serious pair of combat looking boots made by Converse: All black, zips on on the side, very sexy.


Oddly enough, the hardest thing to shop for has been calling cards and cargo pants. If you want to call Europe, Canada or Mexico, there are calling cards galore, The Middle East? Not so much. L
ooks like I'll have to get that on base. Thank goodness for my BlackBerry.

And apparently you have to know somebody to get a decent pair of cargo pants. I finally had to settle for a pair men's cargo pants that I found at H&M. In general, men's sizes seem way more straight
forward. The numbers on the pants correspond to actual waist and leg measurements. Fascinating. Women's sizes use some arbitrary numbering system that corresponds to no measurement in reality. A size 6 could easily refer to shoes, rings or pants. But maybe the clothing manufacturers are smarter than we think. If they labeled and sold women's clothing with real and relevant measurements, we might never buy clothes again.



Will you be shopping in the Middle East?
Quiet as it's kept, it's one of the reasons I'm going. Leighann Lord: International Shopper!


Leighann Lord is a standup comedian. January 31 - February 9 she'll be performing for the troops in the Middle East through Armed Forces Entertainment. Check out her other upcoming shows @ www.VeryFunnyLady.com. Join her on FaceBook. Follow her on Twitter.

No comments: